![]() |
| "the board of lies" - nicknamed because our schedule is always changing. 4 of the agenda items were mine yesterday - I was busy! |
Monday, September 13, 2010
A good day
Although it may at times seem like I am at camp I assure you I am not. I have not had a break for more than a meal since I left home. Because the schedule changes a lot due to weather and well, due to lots of things, I had to have all 3 moorings ready to go and be ready to recover 4. One mooring was missing some very important parts so I needed to consult with my experts aboard and come up with plan D (I am way past plan B). The instruments and boxes weigh a LOT and so do the releases so I need help moving everything and keeping everything organized. I needed to reprogram 2 of the instruments and one would not wake up. But the good news is yesterday and today were very big days. Yesterday I put in 2 and got 2 out of the water - really fantastic. I was really tired and then Bob, our chief scientist, told me that we'd try to recover 2 moorings today and be ready to go with my third deployment just in case. So a late nite in the lab (things take a lot longer when you can't kneel ) and a 5:30 wake-up. The fog was really thick today so that slowed down the first recovery but then it was my turn. We had a pretty stressful start - no release talking to us at all - until we discovered the ship went to a different location than we had requested (the sites are close together and we are doing a lot of recoveries and the names of the moorings are similar) and I got the other 2 moorings back. YAHOOOOO! I can't tell you how relieved I am. My deployment won't happen until Wednesday and that's good 'cause everyone needed a break. There was a lot of scrubbing and cleaning and dragging around heavy objects so now I am really really physically tired but happy. And so is the crew.
I have not had my stitches out yet and that is good as things have been strenuous. I'll probably do it tomorrow. Ice was close today. Seas are picking up and the ship is shuddering and we still haven't seen the sun since the day we helo'd on. But today was still a good day.....and it ended with pecan pie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

A very good day indeed - woo-hoo! Congrats on retrieving 4 and deploying 2 (or 3?) of your hydrophones - great job! Sounds like the stressful parts are almost over and soon you can kick back and watch whales for the rest of the trip. Enjoy your success and get some rest. Miss you, love you. T,N,J,M&B
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Sharon! Interested to know what the data is going to show. Great experience, even though it may be stressful at times. Hope the rest of your deployments go as smoothly as the others and the rest of your trip is a "piece of pecan pie"!
ReplyDeleteTricia
You da WOMAN! (somehow, that doesn't sound as good as "You da MAN"). High fives all around! I know all too well how stressful things can be out there. Your cabin looks mighty comfy, much like the Gordon Gunter. Congrats on figuring out the moorings! Not a small feat. Nothing like trial by fire. Heard about the blanket and towel debacle, BTW. Being at sea does mean lots of problem solving, at even the most banal levels! Fun to read you blog, as I grind away at data here in our office. Hugs- Sara
ReplyDelete